When you are camping during the winter, then there will be a few things that you’ll definitely need from your camper.
The first one is the right amount of insulation. You’ll need to make sure that everything underneath your camper is perfectly insulated to avoid the water lines and heat system freezing over.
Pop-up campers are very popular simply because they are so cheap. Not only do they save you plenty of space, but they also come with most of the mod cons that you’ll need to stay comfortable and secure.
You’ll want to make sure that you have a bed and a kitchenette, where you can prepare your fish or game.
The downside of trying to merge the pop-up camper with the winterized camper is that you might have had a heating system that has been completely converted especially for the winter season.
This will prevent your pipes from freezing over and will give you everything that you need for a functioning heating system.
The main plus point for a lot of the campers that we’ve listed below is that they are designed to be used all year round.
A pop-up isn’t much use if it can only be used 3 or 4 months out of the year. Basically, these are campers that have been designed to give you the perfect setups for spring, summer, fall and winter.
So where exactly can you find some of these amazing pop-up camper vans? What features do you need for some of these trailers to see you through some of the coldest months in the winter?
What design layout is best to house you, your partner and the rest of your family? How much will you have to be paying for one of these camper vans?
Well, if you are looking for the perfect little unit to help keep you warm during the winter, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of the best 8 campers for wintering that we can currently find on the market. We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you identify some of the necessary features you need to stay warm.
OUR TOP PICK
This first camper comes with everything that you’ll need to keep you and your family extra warm during the winter months, with a furnace built into it that will burn at around 20,000 BTUs.
This comes with hard-sided fiberglass on 80% of the walls, which will be one of the main things that will keep you heated - introducing the Coachmen Clipper Express 12.0TD XL.
This comes with a small toilet that will be very convenient, with a heated seat that makes sure your number 2’s are the most comfortable, even during the coldest weather conditions.
This camper is designed to keep as much of the heat on the inside of the camper as possible, making it one of the best units to have for the colder seasons.
- This camper is one of the most efficient when it comes to heat retention. You can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a very comfortable sleep.
- This comes with a furnace that will heat quickly and linger on the inside of your van for the duration.
- This can sleep two adults and a child, which is perfect if you want to take yourself and your family out in the snow for a wintery vacation.
- The tent fabric of this pop-up camper is very durable, protecting you from the elements but also preventing you from getting tears, which might let in cold air.
- This is not a great camper for a larger family. If you are looking for something roomier, then we would recommend that you shell out some extra cash.
This next camper van comes with a harder shell on the outside that will enable you to seal yourself in, protecting you amply during the harsher winter months.
This is made from hardened fiberglass, which will keep you heated for a majority of the time - introducing the Aliner Expedition.
This camper also comes with a built-in furnace that will burn very highly. We would recommend that you always get a winter pop-up with a furnace onboard, as this will help you retain the heat when it gets really cold (they can however sometimes be noisy).
This has a dual propane fuel source, which will severely decrease the risk of you losing too much heat.
- This has 18 feet in length, giving you everything that you need for a very roomy vacation. You can easily house 4 grown adults in this pop-up.
- This comes with a furnace and dual propane heating system. This gives you everything that you need for a warm evening.
- If you are wanting to cook some of the fish that you’ve caught on your vacation, then you can’t go wrong with this. You have a kitchenette with plenty of room to prep your food.
- This has a great R-rating. It also comes with a surprising amount of space in which you can keep all your goods.
- This might be a little too heavy-duty for anyone who is only looking to go solo camping once every few months.
This next one is another 4-person pop-up camper with a 10,000 BTU heater and even a heated mattress, which will certainly help you when you are sleeping. It will give you plenty of warm air during the winter and cool air during the summer.
If you are looking for an all-year-round caravan, then this is the one for you - introducing the Forest River Rockwood A213HW.
This comes with a heated mattress that will keep the warm air on your body even when the temperature in the rest of your camper has started to dip dramatically.
This camper is also one of the cheapest options that you can currently find. Considering the number of features available, this camper is simply a steal!
- This camper van does not come with a furnace, rather a heat pump that can raise to the point of 10,000 BTUs.
- This camper van is one of the cheapest options that you can have on this list, making it the perfect choice for families who are on a budget.
- This comes with plenty of room on the inside, giving you everything that you need for a comfortable vacation.
- This heating and air convection system are very clever, giving you warm air during the winter and colder air during the summer.
- This might not have some of the high-end features such as a furnace which really will keep your campervan warm during those snowy conditions.
This next camper comes with everything that you will need for space, coming with an extender that you can use to increase the overall size of your camper.
It also contains a wet bath as well as a toilet, along with a kitchenette and dining area that will slide out to accommodate a larger family - introducing the Forest River Flagstaff High Wall HW29SC.
This comes with a 3-burner propane stove that will really help you to heat the entire interior of your home. This is one of the best heaters that we have on this list.
It also comes with a microwave that you can use to heat your food extremely quickly and effectively. This also comes with a heated mattress that will help keep you warm.
- This comes with a power roof lift, which means that you can literally raise the roof to give yourself and your family a lot more room to stand.
- This comes with a furnace that is able to be powered to 20,000 BTUs, which will certainly keep you nice and warm during the coldest climates.
- You have a heated mattress with this camper van, which will keep you nice and snug even when the temperature of your interior is starting to drop.
- This is one of the most spacious caravans on this list, with slide-out kitchens and a dining room that will help you to prepare your food and entertain your guests.
- This might have too much room for the solo camper, costing you extra money for space that you will not be using.
This next campervan comes with tented material that will keep you warm during the coldest weather. It comes with a furnace that burns at around 20,000 BTU, which will certainly help you to stay warm during the chilly and snowy weather.
There is also plenty of room in this camper, enough to accommodate you and your family - introducing the Coachmen Clipper 1285SST Classic.
One of the worst feelings imaginable can be to emerge from your bed in the middle of the night during the freezing cold to use the toilet.
Luckily with this camper, that feeling of a cold toilet seat is severely reduced, as the potty itself comes sealed within the housing of the camper, which will reduce the level of heat loss.
- This can sleep up to 4 grown adults, which makes it great if you and some buddies are going on an ice fishing trip.
- This has an insulated bedding area, which is perfect for keeping out the cold when you are trying to get some much-needed shut-eye.
- This comes with a fairly sizable furnace that will crank up the heat very quickly. This is great if you have just come in from the cold and need your extremities heating up quickly.
- This has a kitchenette and a small living area, allowing you to kick back and put your feet up after a long day trudging through the snow.
- This is a very large unit, so you’ll need to make sure that you have the towing capacity to get it from one location to another.
This is a smaller design than some of the other campers that we’ve put on this list, however, it has all the materials and construction that you need to make it fully winterized.
It is perfect for heating up the inside of your camper and keeping it that way until you are ready to go out the next day - introducing the Forest River Rockwood Limited Series 194LTD.
This comes with dual 20-pound propane tanks that will be perfect for raising the temperature of your caravan.
It will allow for minimal heat transfer from the inside to the outside of your caravan, giving you everything that you need for that warm and toasty climate, even during the bleakest of midwinters.
- This comes with a heated mattress, giving you everything that you need to stay nice and cozy when you are bedding down for the night.
- This can house 4 adults, so if you have children that you want to take hunting or fishing, then this is one of the best camper vans to have.
- This has plenty of room on the inside, allowing you and your guests to get comfy and enjoy a hearty meal between you.
- This is one of the cheaper units, which is perfect if you are looking to save yourself a few bucks on your next motorhome.
- This comes with tarpaulin coverage, which some people might not find adequately heats their camper van. Some users have actually reported a heat loss, even with the furnace on.
Next up, we have a pop-up camper with a built-in furnace that will really help to keep you warm throughout those brutal winter months.
This comes with dual propane tanks that will give you everything that you need to make sure that your campervan is warm all the way through on the inside - introducing Aliner Ranger 10.
This burner comes with a command AC pump that you can be sure will give you maximum control over your heating system.
This camper trailer is very lightweight, meaning that you’ll be able to tow it behind your truck very easily. It is also very easy to maneuver, allowing you to negotiate it into tight spaces.
- This can sleep up to 3 people, which will certainly help you when it comes to going on holiday with your small family.
- This comes with solid glass windows and propane tanks, sealing in the heat to give you that maximum level of comfort when you are out in the winter seasons.
- This camper has a pretty cool shape, designed as it is to keep the heat circulating on the inside of your camper, preventing it from escaping.
- You can easily tow this camper van for miles without experiencing any drag on the back of your vehicle. This is the perfect little runner for you and your family.
- This might be a little cramped for a family of 4. If you do have 2 fully grown children, then we would recommend that you get a larger model.
This next camper comes in a very interesting shape, resembling more of an aircraft than a land trailer. It also comes with a raising platform and a furnace burner that will allow you to keep your family warm for most of the year.
This has dual 20-pound tanks, giving you everything that you need for warmth all year round - introducing the Trailmanor 2518KB.
This comes with hardened fiberglass walls, which will really minimize the heat loss that you’ll experience. This comes with a laminated floor that you can be sure will give you everything you need for protection and complete insulation.
Running with dual propane tanks, this camper comes with an automatic switchover, meaning that when one tank stops running, the other will kick in to keep the heat going all day.
- This will house up to 4 people, which is great for having plenty of room to sleep and play around with your young ones.
- We would definitely recommend this trailer if you want consistent heat. It even has a boiler that will help you to maintain the temperature of your camper regardless.
- This comes with a 3-inch laminated floor that will be very easy to clean as well as having the added bonus of completely insulating your camper van.
- This comes with propane bottles that you can be sure will maintain the heat of your camper van for the duration of the winter months.
- This is a rather large camper van, so if you are only planning on going winter camping by yourself, then we would recommend picking up a different model.
Best Pop Up Campers For Winter Camping
If you are planning to get one of these pop-up campers for the winter, then we would certainly recommend that you look for a few key features that will insular your camper thoroughly if you prefer camping in the winter seasons
How Many Heat Sources Are There?
Having your camper van fully winterized will be very important for getting you through the harsher seasons.
There are potentially dozens of heat sources that you can have in your campervan that will give you everything that you need for a warm night’s sleep or comfortable waking up in the morning.
Heated blankets are a huge part of getting a sound night’s rest. You won’t have to worry about cold feet when you wake up in the morning.
We would also recommend that you get a furnace that will heat to at least 10,000 BTUs, as this will definitely help maintain the heat of your camper van for longer.
How Well Insulated Is Your Camper?
These campers are very well insulated, which means that there will be plenty of heat that will circulate around the interior of your camping trailer even when the heating system has been switched off.
A lot of the campers that we’ve listed have a one-piece design without any seals in the corners to really keep the heat in.
Does It Have A Furnace?
This is a very important distinction to make, as your standard camper will only have an AC heater, which really won’t be up to the task of heating the inside of your camper for the duration of the day. Having a proper furnace that burns fast and effectively will be a must-have for your camper.
The furnace also will not need electricity to run, having its own fuel source. Some people will want to save energy by keeping the electricity supply and the furnace completely separate.
You’ll need to make sure that if your batteries are running that they are powerful enough to support the air blower system that you have in your winter camper.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Winterizing Your Camper Mean?
This means that you’ll want to have the water of your camper on the inside so that it stays heated and does not freeze in the tank. If your water freezes, then you can expect blockages in your sink and shower, as well as the pipes expanding, which might cause you some damage.
You should ideally have a 6-gallon grid container that will help you to keep your water sectioned off from the rest of your heating system. We would also recommend that you have a separate pipe that is housed inside the camper with its own access to an internal heater.
What Ways Can You Keep Warm In Your Camper?
There are many different methods of keeping warm in your winter camper, one of which is to have a heated mattress that will keep you toasty through the night without having the turn on the furnace.
Running the furnace might require a lot of fuel and energy, so you’ll want to make sure that the camper itself retains a lot of heat.
You should also dress up warm, even when you are on the inside of your camper. This will save wear and tear on your heating system inside the camper van.