So, you’re looking to purchase a trailer. Trailers are great additions and come in all different types, shapes and sizes. It can be difficult to know what you’re buying and to distinguish one trailer from another.
There are many options to choose from, but the main focus here will be of the travel trailer toy hauler.
Before we list the best travel trailer toy haulers, we will be first acknowledging what a toy hauler is and the difference between your average travel trailer and the toy hauler.
The Travel Trailer And The Toy Hauler
What Is The Difference Between A Travel Trailer And A Toy Hauler?
Travel trailers and toy haulers can be seen as very similar, so it may be difficult to recognize their differences, but there are many things that split them apart.
Before delving into the similarities and differences, however, it is important to know what each of these trailers are.
When speaking of a travel trailer, what comes to mind? Travel trailers are essentially miniature homes that you can hook to your vehicle and tow along wherever.
You would often find that families would use the travel trailer when going on vacation, perhaps on a fishing trip or a trip to the beach.
With towing a travel trailer, it is important to know your vehicle’s weight capacity and if your vehicle can withstand the weight of the trailer it is towing.
A toy hauler is very similar to your typical travel trailer but holds some slight differences. This is a type of RV which includes a garage in the rear. This garage is very useful as it extends with a large ramp door making it a very convenient addition.
Its main purpose is to haul toys, as the name suggests, but we’re not talking about your kid’s small dolls or action figures, we’re talking about those big toys such as the snowmobile or dirt bikes.
This is ideal for families who are wanting to go on activity focused trips and need that extra storage space.
Although different, these two items have quite a lot in common and share a variety of characteristics.
For one, both of these trailers can be lived in and are provided with interior features which enable people to stay in it overnight.
It’s often that in both the travel trailer and toy hauler you will find interior designs such as a kitchen area, a bathroom, even a couch.
It is safe to say that these are very accommodating and a beneficial feature to owning one of these.
Moreover, these trailers do not include built-in generators however are able to be accommodated with one upon request.
Of course, with similarities comes its differences.
Toy haulers are made with the purpose of carrying other supplies such as bikes, allowing much more room and reliability than the simple travel trailer.
As well as this, travel trailers can be seen as more accommodating as it doesn’t double as a garage like the toy hauler. This means that the interior of the travel trailer has no limitations and can use up their space in the best way.
Why Get The Travel Trailer Toy Hauler?
Toy haulers are a great asset and are perfect for family use. You don’t have to concern yourself with hiring vehicles or booking hotels with one of these.
The toy hauler is reliable and is strong enough to hold your motorbikes as well as living space including a bed and kitchen. It is safe to say that you will be getting your money’s worth with this purchase as it makes life much easier and you are not restricted.
List Of The Best Popular Travel Trailer Toy Haulers
Here is a list of the best travel trailer toy haulers, popular, in demand, and featuring the products’ pros and cons to help you decide which one is the best fit for you.
OUR TOP PICK
The Northwood Mfg Desert Fox is a great toy hauler option with many positive aspects. It comes in a suitable size along with a high construction quality.
If you are looking for a trailer with great quality and enough room for the whole family, then this is the best option for you.
- Spacious – the trailer has plenty of room on the inside, allowing plenty of room for the owners.
The Jay Flight Octane is one of the latest additions to the Jay Flight family and is already a popular choice. This trailer comes with a stunning interior design and is lightweight making it easier on your vehicle when towing.
- Traditional hitch – this trailer comes with a traditional hitch making it easier to bring all your gear without any issue.
- Ramp lights – this model comes with ramp lights meaning that you have the ability to unload your items any time of the day, whether that be day or night.
- Interior – the interior of the trailer is of high quality with solid hardwood cabinet doors and vinyl flooring.
- Warranty – there is an issue with getting warranty work completed in a timely manner.
The inTech Explore Flyer has been deemed one of the lightest trailers to date, making this efficient in terms of towing and more reliable.
This toy hauler has a lot of space too and is compatible with a lot of electronic gear such as USB ports and 120V outlets.
- Capacity – as many as four people can sleep in there, making it the perfect size for your average sized family.
- Comfort – the interior provides a comfortable environment.
- Luxury – if you’re looking for a ‘luxurious’ toy hauler then you would be best looking into other options.
This is another lightweight vehicle which comes fully equipped with what most people are looking for in a trailer.
- Floorplan – this trailer comes with an excellent floorplan big enough to fit a queen bed, sometimes even a king bed.
- Variety – there are tons of variety, this trailer coming in 8 different layouts giving plenty to choose from.
- Workmanship – there have been complaints of “shoddy workmanship”, however this is all based off of who you purchased the toy hauler from.
The Keystone Hideout is just what every family needs. This is great for people wanting to bring a lot of items on their camping trip or just for having that extra needed storage space.
- Room for carry-ons – this trailer has a 1,500 pound weight capacity meaning you won’t have to worry about your vehicle not being strong enough and you won’t have to carry all of those heavy items by hand.
- Safe – the Keystone Hideout comes with a number of safety features such as safety chains, smoke detectors and a fire extinguisher, making safety their priority. This is ideal for people with young children who they want to ensure are protected.
- Price – with all its features, this toy hauler can be on the pricier side.
This is a toy hauler which offers the best open-air camping with its large and open rear hatch. This provides natural light and a great amount of storage space.
With its aluminum wheels and secure double entry step, the KZ Escape is another perfect choice to pick from.
- Ideal for campers – this offers open air camping and is most suitable for those who want to use for the purpose of camping.
- Efficiency – compared to other toy haulers, this one isn’t as efficient as it only has a carrying capacity of up to 1,000 pounds.
This toy hauler is great for those who are looking for suitability over comfort. This is a great addition for people who want a low-key trailer which gets the job done.
Although it doesn’t come with the comfort of interior items such as a bathroom, this trailer is still beneficial in a variety of other ways.
- Compact – this trailer is on a smaller scale, ideal for those wanting a vehicle which is low-profile
- Good features – includes a 30 gallon fresh water pack
- Bathroom - no indoor bathroom
The Crossroads Zinger has a height of 7 feet and is available in two-floor plans. It also holds a net carrying capacity of 2,102 and is ideal for trips.
- Features – the Crossroads RV Zinger has many good features such as tinted windows and a heated underbelly.
- Shower – this comes with an outdoor shower supplied with both hot and cold water but is only ideal in warmer weather.
- Other - prone to some other common issues such as roof issues, stability, tire and occasional electrical issues.
This Stryker is perfect for four season travels, great for vacationing in all year round.
- Walkable roof – the roof is made out of a strong welded aluminum making it a strong, walkable roof.
- Size – the Stryker is large, coming with a king sized bed
Winnebago is one of the most trusted companies when it comes to the making of trailers. They have a good reputation and are sure to provide their customers with a suitable toy hauler.
The Spyder is not only reliable, but it can hold as much as 3,000 pounds in weight and is sturdy.
- Internal capacity – this trailer can sleep up to six people and has plenty of room
- Garage – the size of the garage is large at 14’, meaning plenty of room for your equipment
- Weight – this trailer is much heavier compared to other lightweight trailers
This product comes with a 9 foot garage, perfect for storing any equipment you may need. The design of this toy hauler is made to be big and industrial and has been made with well-done aluminum materials.
- Facilities – this trailer comes with a full bathroom
- Height – the height for the trailer reaches an amazing 9.11 feet tall
- A/C – unfortunately, this does not come with any form of air conditioning, meaning uncomfortable summer nights in the trailer
- Furnace – there is no furnace installed but can be requested
This 30 foot long trailer comes with a built-in kitchen, a USB ports and 110 outlets. If you are looking for a trailer that provides comfort and a home-like feel, then this may be the option for you.
- Accessories – this comes with a variety of accessories including, but not limited to, drip spouts and rain gutters.
- Features – some of the handy features included is a deep sink and electric refrigerator, perfect for that home-away-from-home feeling.
- Weight – unlike other trailers, this trailer is heavy and bulky, not lightweight as many people would prefer.
Best Popular Travel Trailer Toy Haulers Buying Guide
So, you’ve now looked at the list of possible travel trailer toy haulers and you can now weigh out your options. Of course, there is much to choose from before making any drastic purchases.
With something like a toy hauler, it isn’t easy to turn around and return like returning a clothing item to the store. There is much to think about. Is this suitable for a family? Can I use this toy hauler all year round? Is it lightweight or will it be too heavy?
All questions and queries are completely valid, but that is why buyers’ guides are put in place.
With this simple guide, your questions will be answered. Here, we will be concerned with things every person should consider and look out for before the initial purchase and will prevent any drastic mistakes to your decision making.
One of the most important things to be aware of when buying a travel trailer toy hauler is the size.
We are not only talking about the size in terms of how many people can fit in the trailer, but we are especially talking about whether the size is in tune with your vehicle size.
When owing any type of trailer, your vehicle (whether that be a huge truck or a small car) is used to tow it to whatever destination. It is important that the trailer is lightweight enough as to tow the trailer without any problems.
It is important to know what you are looking for. With a toy hauler one of the main purposes for it is to carry other equipment such as your bikes, but is that the only thing you are looking for?
There are many options to choose from – some trailers are designed to match the comfort of your own home with cozy couches and king-sized beds whilst others’ main focus is on the durability and size of the garage and doesn’t even have a bathroom.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much Weight Can A Toy Hauler Handle?
A toy hauler can handle weight up to 2,500 pounds, so if you are searching for a trailer that can carry a lot of heavy items, know what your limit is. It is possible to find a toy hauler with a strong weight capacity such as this one.
What Is The Best Vehicle To Tow A Toy Hauler?
You can use any vehicle to tow your toy hauler as long as it is durable and strong enough, but the best vehicle to use is a pickup truck as they are made to be strong and will be able to handle any weight of a trailer (like the Dodge Ram).
How Much Is The Average Toy Hauler?
On average, the price for a toy hauler can range between $12,000 and $250,000 depending on model, age and weight.
There is much to choose from and many things to take into consideration such as size, efficiency, durability, comfort, and much more.
However, the good thing about the toy hauler is that it comes in a range of options, ideal for any person. It is just about finding the right one for you.