Protecting your RV while it’s in storage is important, but what may people don’t realize is that inclement weather and sun can also damage their RV, even while they’re using it. There are plenty of ways to cover it, but roof covers and full covers are some of the best options.
While a full cover is useful when putting your RV in storage, you can’t use something like this if you’re currently camping.
A roof cover is versatile because you can use it for storage or to protect your roof during bad weather or when the sun is shining bright.
RV Roof Covers
An RV roof cover is a tarp-like material that you lay over the top of your RV. It’s held down with straps, so it’s not going to fly away in the wind, and it will protect your RV from rain, snow, and hail.
You can also get an RV roof cover with UV protection. This is important because the sun can damage your RV’s roof, causing it to crack and leak. The UV protection will also help keep your RV cooler in the summer.
To use an RV roof cover, you’ll need to clean your RV’s roof first. You don’t want to trap any dirt or debris under the cover. Once it’s clean, lay the cover over the top of your RV and secure it with the straps.
It’s an easy process that’s worth the time and effort, especially if you’re going to be storing your RV for a long period of time (here is how much storage generally costs).
However, it could also be a useful investment if you frequently camp in hot areas where the sun will damage your lining or if you regularly encounter rain, snow, sleet, hail, or any other weather that can cause excessive wear and tear.
Pros And Cons of RV Covers
If you are unsure about whether to get a roof cover or a full cover, here are the main pros and cons of each one to help you to decide.
Benefits Of Using A Roof Cover On Your RV
There are several benefits to using an RV roof cover. The most obvious reason is that it will protect your RV, no matter the weather.
However, there are plenty of other reasons you should invest in something like a roof cover.
- It’s an inexpensive way to protect your RV. Storage facilities can be expensive, and if you’re only going to be storing your RV for a short period of time, it doesn’t make sense to pay for a facility. A roof cover is a more affordable option, and it will still protect your RV from the elements.
- You can use it while you’re camping. If you frequently camp in hot or sunny areas, a roof cover will protect your lining from UV damage. It can also provide additional shade, so you don’t have to worry about the sun beating down on you while you’re trying to enjoy a peaceful camping trip.
- It’s easy to use. Unlike some storage options, a roof cover is very easy to put on and take off. You don’t have to worry about struggling to get it over your RV or taking hours to take it off when you’re ready to hit the road again.
- It’s versatile. A roof cover can be used for storage or for protection while you’re camping. It’s a good investment if you plan on using your RV often, and it will protect your RV no matter where you take it.
- It prolongs the life of your RV. By protecting your RV from the elements, you’re prolonging its life. This is especially important if you plan on keeping your RV for a long time. A roof cover is an essential piece of gear for any RV owner. It’s an inexpensive way to protect your investment, and it will extend the life of your RV.
Cons of Roof Covers
There are a few disadvantages to using a roof cover. First, it’s important to note that a roof cover is not a replacement for a storage facility.
If you’re going to be storing your RV for an extended period of time, you should still use a storage facility. A roof cover is not designed to protect your RV from the elements for a long period of time.
It’s possible that a roof cover will be more difficult to put on if your RV is large. It’s important to make sure that the cover is properly secured, or it could blow away in the wind.
If you have a large RV, it might be easier to pay for a storage facility.
RV Full Covers
An RV full cover is a tarp that covers the entire RV, from the front to the back and most of the way down the sides.
You can get custom full RV covers that are made for the exact shape of your RV and drape your RV snugly.
This is a good option if you’re worried about the cover coming off in high winds.
You can also get semi-custom covers that are a bit more forgiving when it comes to fit. These will still protect your RV, but they might not be as snug as a custom cover.
Full covers are typically made from polyester or polypropylene. These materials are durable and will last for many years.
They’re also waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about the cover getting wet and damaging your RV.
Benefits of Using A Full Cover On Your RV
There are several benefits to using an RV full cover. Once again, the most obvious benefit is that it will protect your RV from the elements.
A full cover will keep your RV dry, no matter what the weather is like. However, there are a few other benefits.
- They’re more affordable than a covered storage unit. If you’re only going to be storing your RV for a short period of time, a full cover is a more affordable option than a storage unit.
- They’re easy to use. Just like roof covers, full covers are very easy to put on and take off. You don’t have to worry about struggling to get the cover over your RV or taking hours to take it off when you’re ready to hit the road again.
- They prolong the life of your RV. Just like with roof covers, a full cover will prolong the life of your RV by protecting it from the elements. It can also provide extra insulation that keeps the interior safe from extreme temperature changes.
Cons of Full Covers
There are a few disadvantages to using an RV full cover.
- They’re not as versatile as roof covers. While a full cover can be used for storage or protection, it’s not as versatile as a roof cover. It can’t be used for camping, and it won’t protect your RV from the elements while you’re on the road.
- They might be more difficult to put on if your RV is large. As with roof covers, it’s important to make sure that a full cover is properly secured. If you have a large RV, it might be difficult to put the cover on by yourself. You might need help from a friend or family member.
- They can be expensive. If you want to buy a custom cover, you should be prepared to spend more money. However, semi-custom covers are more affordable and will still protect your RV.
Differences Between RV Roof Covers vs Full Covers
The biggest difference between roof covers and full covers is that roof covers only cover the roof of your RV, while full covers cover the entire RV.
Roof covers are less expensive and more versatile, but they’re not as good at protecting your RV from the elements.
Full covers are more expensive, but they provide better protection for your RV.
- Cost – Winner: Roof cover
- Versatility – Winner: Roof cover
- Protection – Winner: Full cover
Do RV Covers Cause Damage?
RV covers can help to protect your vehicle from the elements, but they can also be a source of damage if not properly maintained.
It is important to inspect and maintain your RV cover regularly. If you have an older cover, it may need to be replaced with a newer model that has better protection against UV rays, rain and wind.
Make sure to check for any tears, loose stitching or other signs of wear and tear on the cover. Additionally, make sure that you secure your cover properly using straps or ties so that it does not come loose during strong winds.
If you do notice any damage, take the time to repair it before it worsens – doing this could help keep your RV protected in the long run.
The best way to keep your RV cover from causing any damage is to make sure that it is clean and free of debris.
Leaves, dirt and twigs can accumulate on the cover over time and can cause wear-and-tear as well as leaks.
To avoid this, remove any buildup of debris and clean the surface of your RV cover regularly.
You should also make sure to inspect the area beneath your cover for any signs of water damage that could have been caused by a leak, as this can cause further damage to your RV’s interior.
What Are The Best RV Covers?
When it comes to the best RV covers, there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
Different types of covers have different features and benefits, so you should take your time to compare options before making a final decision.
The material that your cover is made of will be a major factor in determining its lifespan and durability.
Some common materials used in RV covers include vinyl, polyester, canvas and aluminum. Additionally, you should consider factors such as UV protection, water resistance and breathability when making a selection.
Depending on your needs and budget, there is likely an RV cover that meets your expectations.
One thing that will ensure you have the best RV cover for your vehicle is the proper fit. Make sure to measure your RV before making a purchase so you can buy an appropriately-sized cover.
Make sure that the cover extends all the way around your cabin and that there are no gaps in coverage.
While it can be pricey, your best bet is to purchase a cover that is made especially for your model.
Many RV owners will have a cover custom made for their vehicle, as this will guarantee the most accurate fit possible.
Investing in a quality RV cover can be worth it in the long run, as it can help protect your trailer and extend its lifespan.
Conclusion: Which Is Best?
Which is best for you will depend on your needs. If you’re looking for protection from the elements, a full cover is the way to go.
However, if you’re looking for a more affordable option or one that’s more versatile, a roof cover is the better choice. Whichever option you choose, make sure that it’s properly secured so that it doesn’t come off in high winds.