If you are looking for the perfect motorhome for you and your small family and you don’t want to increase the field capacity of your vehicle, then we would suggest that you opt for a very lightweight travel trailer.
Some of these are very difficult to get hold of, probably owing to their unique design and shape. They are great if you only own a truck or small vehicle and like to pack up and go on holiday on a regular basis.
A lot of these caravans come with all the mod cons, including wifi and all the kitchen facilities. You also have plenty of great interior features with some of the trailers that will replicate all the comforts of home.
Whether it’s a kitchen, a dining area or a place where you can just chill with your family and friends, then these tiny little trailers have everything that you need for amazing reclining abilities.
So where can you find one of the ultra-lightweight travel trailers? How much will the weight have to be to give you the maximum level of comfort? What kind of features can you expect to find on the inside of your travel trailer?
How far will you be able to pull these and how much fuel will you expend? How much can you be looking to pay for these?
Well, if you want to know the answers to these questions, then we would recommend that you keep reading. We have compiled a list of the 9 best ultra-lightweight travel trailers on the market.
We have sized them up in terms of features, durability and price, providing you with a cross-section of everything that you need for a comfortable holiday.
Our first camper has a great 6-sided aluminum design that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a durable camping ride.
It comes with a comfortable bed that will comfortably house two people, with a vacuum laminated roof that will seal all of those unwanted elements like rain and wind out completely - introducing the Forest River Flagstaff E-Pro.
- This comes with a rubber suspension that will do you very well when you are traversing gravel and trail tracks. This is great if you have people in your trailer and want a smooth ride.
- This comes with all the basic cooking facilities, including a microwave oven and cooktop that is flush to the base of your camper van itself.
- This comes with 10 different floor plans which will be perfect for getting the exact floor plan for you and your family.
- This has an aluminum cage construction, which will help keep you and your family safe if you are going off-road across rough terrain.
- This will only sleep 2 people, so if you are planning on taking your family on a trip, then we would suggest that you opt for something slightly larger.
This next camper is a genuinely retro vision, coming with the red stripes that we associate with those vintage camper vans.
This comes with a simple teardrop shape that you can be sure will give you everything for a comfortable night’s sleep, coming with an amazing queen-size mattress - introducing the Riverside RV Retro.
- This comes with plenty of overhead storage, which is perfect if you are taking your family on holiday and have a lot of baggage that you want to keep out of the way.
- This comes with an outdoor kitchen, featuring a wood burner, a stove and a tabletop that will allow you to cook all of your food very easily.
- If you are a fan of solo holidays, then this will definitely have all the criteria that you’ll need to get a very comfy sleep.
- This has a decent AC unit that will give you everything that you need for a cool feeling, which is perfect for you and your family.
This is another trailer that can only sleep 2 people, which will certainly be difficult if you are taking more than one other family member.
- This comes with an aluminum frame which will provide you with plenty of space and enough room to cook a decent meal for you and your family.
- This comes with a roof-mounted solar panel that you can use to power the inside of your home. This is perfect if you don’t want to drain the juice from your battery.
- This comes with brakes that are self adjusting, making this one of the safest units to have for high-speed travel.
- This has AstroFoil infusion on the inside, which will keep the inside of your trailer heated, even when you haven’t got the heat cranked up.
- This will only sleep 2 people, so if you have children with you on the holiday, then you might find yourself dealing with a cramped situation.
This next camper can be towed everywhere with most 4-cylinder vehicles, giving you everything that you need for your family’s needs.
Although it states that you can only fit 2 adults in this trailer, you can actually house 2 adults and 2 children, making it the perfect compact family home - introducing the Cricket Camper.
- These windows have screens and shades that you can use to keep out the wind, which is perfect if you are going camping for the winter season.
- This comes with a laser aluminum structure that is not only durable, but it will keep you safe and well when you are on the road.
- This has 2 20-pound propane tanks that you can be sure will help keep your heating system powered throughout the duration of your holiday.
- This comes with aluminum wheels that are 15 inches in diameter, which is perfect for when you are traversing across the gravel or bumpy dirt path.
The price - this is one of the more expensive units, considering that it has plenty of features, so if you like camping in luxury, we would certainly recommend you get this unit.
If you are looking for a very resilient lightweight camper, then you can’t go far wrong with this compact little camper. This comes in a 13-foot, and 19-foot model so there is plenty of room for a family of 4.
This also comes in a 16-foot length, which gives you much more space to store your kitchen and bathroom features - introducing the Scamp Travel Trailer.
- This camper comes with a fiberglass body that you can be sure will give you everything that you need to keep your trailer on the road during the harsh weather.
- This comes with a decent 5-gallon freshwater tank, which is perfect for getting plenty of fluids when you are on the road.
- This comes with a dining area that converts into a bed, making it the perfect option for a family that wants to save space.
- This comes with a 2-burner propane stove, which is perfect for grilling, cooking and heating the entire length of your camper.
- The interior of this camper van might look slightly dated to anyone who is looking for something a little more modern.
This trailer comes with a dry weight of less than 2000-pounds, which is perfect if you want your family to be able to travel in relative comfort.
This comes with a one-shell fiberglass piece, which is perfect for insulation and maintaining the integrity of your camper van - introducing the Roulotte ProLite.
- This comes with alloy wheels and fully electric brakes, both of which will really increase your stability when you are on the road.
- This comes with a water heater and a refrigerator that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for cold food and decent hydration.
- This comes with a toilet and a bath, which is perfect if you want to relax in the comfort of your own home.
- This comes with an external shower and radio, which are great features to have if you want to enjoy a nice relaxing time in the sun.
This is a larger camper van, which will cost you that little bit extra. This might not be too appealing for anyone who is not looking to cut too much into their budget.
Next up, we have another teardrop trailer, which is perfect for a small family on a modest budget.
The shape of this trailer is what adds to its aerodynamic capabilities, which will help to reduce the drag on your camper van and keep the fuel costs of your towing vehicle very low - introducing the Aliner Ascape.
- This camper van comes with diamond plating in the lower portion, which will be very durable when you are traveling over rough terrain.
- The majority of this trailer is made from aluminum, which will create a fully sealed and airtight surrounding, making it much safer.
- This comes with a rear door which will enable exiting the trailer a lot easier, especially if you are parked very close to other vehicles.
- This comes with brakes that are 10-inches in length, which is great if you are rumbling over bumpy roads and dirt paths.
This larger camper van might result in more fuel being used with your towing vehicle, which might drive up the overall costs of running everything.
This is one of the better-built campers, which is very important if you are thinking of taking it on long-haul holidays and you want it to last you.
This comes sealed with military-grade materials, which is very important if you are camping during the winter and you want to seal as much of the what in as possible when you are not using the heaters - introducing the Armadillo Trailers.
- This has a porthole in the rearview mirror, giving you everything that you need to scope out the area.
- This comes with great mod cons such as a 2-burner domestic stove and a capacious fridge that you can use to store all of your fruits and vegetables in.
- This comes with 2 layers of vinyl that you can be sure will give you everything that you need for a decent ride over whatever surface you happen to be riding on.
- This comes with a furnace that is powered at around 12,000 BTU, which will be perfect for heating up your trailer during those winter months.
This only has a 13-feet length, which will be very important for having enough room for you and your family to move around.
Finally, we end on a very snazzy teardrop trailer, which will definitely reduce the amount of drag when you are drifting across the motorway.
This gives you a massive panoramic view from the window, which is very important if you want to see what’s behind you when driving or just give the kids something to look at on the road - introducing the InTech RV Luna.
- This comes with two storage cabinets in the front, which will be invaluable if you are taking plenty of food with you.
- This comes with premium vinyl flooring, which will be perfect for preventing scuffs and scratches, as well as giving you a solid surface on which to sleep and eat.
- This comes with an entertainment center at the rear of the cabinet, so if you are a fan of curling up with your family and watching your favorite movies, then this might be a great model to choose.
- This comes with a 3-burner grill, which will be very easy for you to rustle up some dinner for you and your family.
This might be another model that is too luxurious for families that are sticking to a budget.
When you are getting an ultra-lightweight travel trailer for you and your family’s needs, then we would recommend that you get some of the basic aluminum protection on the outside and make sure that all the mod cons are on the inside:
How Warm Is It On The Inside?
A lot of these camper vans have thermal insulation as well as fiberglass that you can be sure will keep all of the heat on the inside of your van.
This is perfect for reducing the costs that you’ll be spending on your fuel and propane, increasing the overall energy efficiency of the trailer.
How Many Mod Cons Does It Have?
Sinks, refrigerators, heated beds and underfloor heating are some of the basic things that you can get from a decent trailer and they will make all the difference between a comfortable and uncomfortable holiday.
Having a trailer that will allow you to cook a basic meal might sound a little bit rudimentary, but it makes all the difference.
Does It Have Good Suspension?
This is something else that will be very important, especially if you are often going off the beaten track and navigating very bumpy paths.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Dry Weight Of A Camper Van?
This is simply how much your van or trailer will weigh without any furniture or people in it. It is the basic metric that is used to calculate how heavy the actual shell of your camper van is.
You should always consult your automobile dealer before picking up a trailer to make sure what the dry weight of it is.