The Honda Odyssey is a versatile and powerful vehicle that can tow a variety of trailers. In fact, the Honda Odyssey is one of the best-selling minivans in the United States.
So, can a Honda Odyssey tow a camper effectively?
Yes, a Honda Odyssey can pull a range of campers from smaller teardrop and popup campers to some small travel trailers. The Honda Odyssey can even tow some boats.
How Much Can A Honda Odyssey Tow?
The amount of weight your Honda Odyssey can pull will depend on the trim level you have but generally speaking, it can tow up to 3500 lbs.
However, it’s important to remember that the more you load the Honda Odyssey with passengers and cargo, the less it will be able to tow.
You’ll also notice a decrease in towing capacity if your model isn’t equipped with a power steering fluid cooler or a transmission fluid cooler.
Honda Odyssey Towing Capacity Guide
- 2018-2020: The 2018 and 2019 model years can tow anywhere from 3000-3500 pounds depending on the trim level. The Elite and Touring models are at the higher end of the spectrum. All 2020 Honda Odyssey models can tow up to 3500 pounds.
- 2011-2017: These model years can tow up to 3500 pounds in the Elite and Touring trim levels.
- 2008-2010: These model years ranged from 650-3500 pounds of towing capacity depending on how many passengers you’re carrying. Unfortunately, with 7-8 passengers, your towing capacity for these model years is severely limited.
- 2005-2007: While the towing capacity for these model years is identical to that of the 2008-2010 model years, the trim levels themselves have different capabilities because the Canadian LX model wasn’t introduced until later.
- 2002-2004: Once again, the towing capacity ranges from 650-3500 pounds but the number of passengers more drastically reduces the towing capacity than it did in later model years. For these model years, it’s not recommended that you tow anything with 8 passengers.
- 2000-2001: Interestingly enough, the low end for these model years is better than 2002-2004, at 850-3500 pounds. However, it’s still not recommended that you two anything with 8 passengers.
10 Campers That A Honda Odyssey Can Tow
Now that you know how much weight your Honda Odyssey can tow, it’s time to take a look at some of the campers it can handle.
Teardrop campers, popup campers, and some small travel trailers may qualify.
1. Little Guy Max
This teardrop camper is lightweight at only 1600 pounds. It’s easy to set up and take down and has all the amenities you need for a comfortable camping experience, including a queen-size bed, a kitchenette, and a bathroom.
As you can see from a weight of only 1600 pounds, nearly any model year can tackle it. You just have to ensure you have the appropriate trim level and number of passengers.
You’re in luck, because a teardrop camper can only sleep two people anyway, so you shouldn’t have too much luggage or extra people.
2. Airstream Basecamp
This small travel trailer is just over 2000 pounds empty but could weigh up to 3500 pounds full, so you’ll have to be careful how you load it.
It sleeps up to four people and has a small kitchen and bathroom. You can easily tow the Airstream Basecamp with any Odyssey model from 2018 onward.
If you have an older model, you may be able to as well, but it’s best to check your trim level and number of passengers first to be sure, since it could possibly reach the upper end of your capacity with all of your cargo.
3. Jayco Hummingbird
This is another small travel trailer, similar to the Airstream Basecamp. It ranges from 1500-3000 pounds, so no matter which Honda Odyssey model year you have, you should be able to tow it with no problems.
The Hummingbird is equipped with a queen-sized bed and a kitchenette, and it’s much more affordable than the Airstream Basecamp.
4. Forest River Rockwood
This popup camper only weighs 1700 pounds, so it’s just about the perfect size for any Honda Odyssey model. It has a queen-size bed, a small kitchen, and a bathroom.
The Forest River Rockwood is one of the most popular popup campers on the market because it’s lightweight and easy to tow. Any Odyssey will have no problem handling this camper.
5. Coachmen Clipper Sport
Weighing just 1600 pounds, this is another popup model that’s perfect for the Honda Odyssey. It has a queen-size bed, a small kitchenette, and a bathroom.
The Coachmen Clipper Sport is similar to the Forest River Rockwood but it’s more afforable. If you’re looking for an inexpensive option, this is it.
This luxury brand builds teardrop trailers that start at just 1300 pounds and have a ton of amenities you won’t find in other teardrop trailers.
They’re manufactured to be lightweight and durable and include features like hatch bat wings for extra interior space, directional lighting, and stargazer packages.
While these trailers cost almost as much as even some of the larger travel trailers on the market, you know you’re getting a quality product that your Honda Odyssey will definitely be able to handle.
7. Jayco Jay Flight
This is one of the most popular travel trailers on the market, and for good reason. It has a ton of features and floorplans to choose from, and it’s very affordable.
They start at around 2800 pounds, so any model year can handle it with the appropriate number of passengers.
The Jayco Jay Flight is a great option for anyone looking for a travel trailer. It has a lot to offer and it’s very budget-friendly.
8. Forest River R-Pod
This travel trailer brand has a lot to offer and starts at just under 3000 pounds. They have a variety of floorplans to choose from, so you’re sure to find one that fits your needs.
They also have a lot of unique features, like an outdoor kitchen and solar power prep.
The Forest River R-Pod is a great travel trailer for anyone who wants a lot of features and options. It’s also very lightweight, so it can be towed by just about any vehicle.
9. Winnebago Micro Minnie
This travel trailer is just over 2000 pounds, so it’s very lightweight and easy to tow. It has a variety of floorplans to choose from, so you can find one that fits your needs.
It also has a lot of great features, like an electric awning and LED lights.
The Winnebago Micro Minnie is a great travel trailer for anyone who wants a lightweight and easy-to-tow option.
It has a lot of features and floorplans to choose from, so you’re sure to find one that’s perfect for you.
10. Travel Lite Aura
This is a very lightweight travel trailer that starts at just 2800 pounds. The rear bathroom is roomier than other campers of this size and it’s equipped with a queen bed and a dinette.
About The Honda Odyssey Towing Package
If you’re planning on towing with your Honda Odyssey, you’ll need the towing package.
- A trailer hitch receiver
- 4-pin connector
- 7-pin connector
- A more capable alternator
- Transmission fluid cooler
- Power steering fluid cooler
You can add the towing package to any model year from 2018 onward. If you have an older model, you may still be able to get the towing package, but it’s best to check with your local Honda dealer to be sure because it will depend on the trim level.
The trailer hitch receiver is the part of the towing package that mounts on the back of your Odyssey.
The 4-pin connector is used for trailers with electric brakes and the 7-pin connector is used for trailers that don’t have electric brakes.
It’s important that you don’t overlook the fluid coolers or the heavy-duty alternator, because without them your Odyssey could overheat or the battery could die.
The towing package is a great investment if you’re planning on doing any camping with your Honda Odyssey.
It gives you the ability to tow small campers and trailers, so you can enjoy a comfortable camping experience without having to rough it.
Can You Tow A Boat With The Honda Odyssey?
The Honda Odyssey can tow up to 3500 pounds, so it can handle most small boats. If you have a larger boat, you may be able to tow it with the Odyssey if you have the towing package and the proper equipment.
Examples of boats you can tow with the Odyssey include:
- Aluminum fishing boats
- Small bass boats
- Canoes and kayaks
- Small sailboats
- Inflatable boats
- Pontoon boats
Can A Honda Odyssey Tow An Airstream?
The Honda Odyssey can tow up to 3500 pounds, so it can handle the Airstream Basecamp, which weighs in at just over 2000 pounds.
If you have the towing package and the proper equipment, you’ll have no problem taking your Airstream on your next camping trip. It may also be able to handle the Bambi, but be careful, because this travel trailer can weigh up to 3500 pounds.
There really aren’t any other options that the Honda Odyssey can tow when it comes to Airstream because the next smallest model, the Caravel, weighs 4300 pounds.
Truck VS SUV For Towing
When it comes to what kind of vehicle you should pick to tow your camper, it comes down to more than personal preference.
Sure, it’s important to be comfortable in your driving experience, but there’s much more to it than that.
Trucks are much more powerful and can pull a lot more weight than anything else. If you have a large camper or fifth wheel, a pickup truck will be your best option. They’re also great for towing boats and other large vehicles.
SUVs are a great option for towing smaller campers, like travel trailers and pop-ups. They’re not as powerful as trucks, but they’re more maneuverable, easier to drive, and have a smoother ride.
And because many larger SUVs are built on truck chassis, their towing capacity is quite a bit more than a minivan. Plus, they can carry more passengers comfortably than a truck can.
However, nothing can beat the number of passengers you can comfortably fit in a minivan.
The Honda Odyssey is a great option for anyone who wants the comfort of an SUV but still needs the power to tow a small camper or trailer.
The more passengers you load up, the less your towing capacity will be, but it’s still a viable option for many campers.
What Other SUVs Are Better For Towing?
There are plenty of SUVs that are great for towing and can still handle up to 8 passengers, like the Honda Odyssey.
These SUVs are powerful while still maintaining the maneuverability and comfort you want in a family vehicle.
- Jeep Wagoneer: The Jeep Wagoneer can pull a whopping 10,000 pounds. It’s a great option for those who need to tow a large camper or travel trailer. Plus, it holds up to 8 passengers with the same rugged appearance you love about Jeeps and plenty of extras inside.
- Ford Expedition: The Ford Expedition can tow up to 9300 pounds and has plenty of space for up to 8 passengers. You can get the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine that offers even more towing capacity than the V8 with even better gas mileage.
- Nissan Armada: At 8500 pounds, this is the highest standard towing capacity you’ll find in a full-size SUV without ordering the heavy-duty towing package. Trailer sway control also comes standard in higher trim levels.
- Lexus LX: For those campers who have luxury in mind, the Lexus LX can tow up to 8000 pounds with its twin-turbo V6 and 10-speed automatic transmission. It even comes standard with trailer sway control and four-wheel drive.
- Dodge Ram 1500: (more info here).
Can A Honda Odyssey Tow 5000 lbs?
No, the Odyssey can only tow a maximum of 3500 lbs (depending on passengers and cargo). For towing 5000 lbs+ a more powerful SUV will be needed such as a Jeep Wagoneer, Ford Expedition, Nissan Armada Dodge Ram, or a Lexus LX.
Related: 5th wheel truck rental guide.
The Honda Odyssey can pull up to 3500 pounds depending on model year and trim level, so it can tow small campers and trailers. You can enjoy a comfortable camping experience without having to rough it.
It’s important to get the towing package if you’re planning on doing any towing with your Odyssey. This will give you the proper equipment you need to tow safely.
You should also be mindful of the weight of any cargo or passengers you may have to ensure you don’t exceed the weight limit.
- Best Alternate Routes To Avoid Chattanooga - March 2, 2023
- Best Alternate Routes To Avoid The Grapevine - March 2, 2023
- Alternate Routes To Avoid George Washington Bridge - February 21, 2023